Request for consultation
Written for beginning level students, SUBSTANCE ABUSE COUNSELING, Fourth Edition provides a good, practical overview of substance abuse counseling. Known for the way it addresses key issues early, including the designing of specialized treatments to fit the individual needs of a client. SUBSTANCE ABUSE COUNSELING, Fourth Edition, also emphasizes the tendency of substance-abusing clients and their families to form a heterogeneous group that must be treated from an individualized perspective. Authors Lewis, Dana, and Blevins believe strongly that clients differ not only in the specific behaviors and consequences associated with their drug use but also in culture, gender, social environments, physical concerns, mental health and a host of other variables. Using an integrated approach, the authors describe innovative methods for meeting clients' needs through personalized assessment, treatment planning, and behavior change strategies, showing students how to select the most effective treatment modalities for each client.
- The section on "Drugs And Their Effects" has been reassessed and moved back to Chapter 2 for greater clarity. Additionally, the section features an informative new section on clinical implications.
- Updated Chapter 1, "The role of the Mental Health Professional in Prevention and Treatment," includes more information on connecting research to practice.
- An entirely new chapter devoted to motivational enhancement and interviewing provides context for the following assessment chapter.
- More multicultural perspectives are infused throughout the new edition. Specifically, the Assessment chapter now features more information on multicultural assessment, thus reflecting the most current views on the subject.
- SUBSTANCE ABUSE COUNSELING, Fourth Edition, provides counseling strategies and skills for working with clients, giving explanations and examples of personalized treatment plans and behavior change strategies.
- Useful assessment instruments, which appear in the appendices, are available for students to use and reproduce. Instruments include a guided interview for substance abuse histories, a behavioral assessment interview form, and several standardized questionnaires.
- The authors suggest a number of action strategies that students can use when working with individuals, groups, or families.
- Topics such as prevention, counseling and relapse issues within the continuum of care are discussed in great detail.
1. Substance Abuse Counseling for the 21st Century.
2. Drugs and Their Effects.
Part II: THE PROCESS OF BEHAVIOR CHANGE.
3. Motivational Interviewing.
4. Assessment and Treatment Planning.
5. Helping Clients Change.
6. Empowering Clients Through Group Work.
7. Maintaining Change in Substance Use Behaviors.
Part III: THE CONTEXT OF CHANGE.
8. Working with Families.
9. Program Planning and Evaluation.
10. Preventing Substance Abuse.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Resource Manual
Streamline and maximize the effectiveness of your course preparation using such resources as brief chapter outlines, chapter summaries, extensively detailed chapter lecture outlines, lecture suggestions, video suggestions, and creative lecture and teaching suggestions. This manual also contains student learning objectives, key terms, essay/discussion questions, student activities, discussion exercises, and Internet exercises. Finally, it contains material on legal and ethical issues presented in the previous edition of the main text as Chapter 3.
Online Test Bank
Organize your course and capture your students' attention with the resources found in the Test Bank, including multiple-choice, true/false, short-answer, and essay questions for each chapter of the text -- most with answers and page references.
These vibrant Microsoft® PowerPoint® lecture slides for each chapter assist you with your lecture by providing concept coverage using images, figures, and tables directly from the textbook.
CourseMate 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook.
CourseMate 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
The more you study, the better the results. Make the most of your study time by accessing everything you need to succeed in one place. Read your textbook, take notes, review flashcards, watch videos, and take practice quizzes -- online with CourseMate. Access to this product is valid for 6 months after initial log-in.