Request for consultation
APPLIED CALCULUS FOR THE MANAGERIAL, LIFE, AND SOCIAL SCIENCES: A BRIEF APPROACH, Tenth Edition balances modern applications, solid pedagogy, and the latest technology to engage students and keep them motivated in the course. Suitable for majors and non-majors alike, the text uses an intuitive approach that teaches concepts through examples drawn from real-life situations from students' fields of interest. In addition, insightful Portfolios highlight the careers of real people and discuss how they incorporate math into their daily professional activities. Numerous exercises, including a Diagnostic Test, ensure that students have a concrete understanding of concepts before advancing to the next topic. The text's pedagogical features coupled with an exciting array of supplements equip students with the tools they need to make the most of their study time and to succeed in the course.
- New and updated applications.
- New and updated examples.
- New and updated exercises.
- Increased emphasis on prerequisite skills in the accompanying Enhanced WebAssign course with the addition of Just-in-Time and Quick Prep Exercises.
- Flexibility: Optional coverage offers instructors different ways to tailor technology to their course needs. For example, "Using Technology" sections show how graphing utilities can facilitate the analysis and solution of complicated problems. "Exploring with Technology" questions emerge throughout the text in special boxes. And, "Modeling with Data" exercises feature in many of the "Using Technology" subsections, showing students how some of the functions found in the exercises are constructed.
- Concept mastery: Section exercise sets include "Concept" questions, and chapter reviews contain fill-in-the-blank "Concept Review" questions to check students' understanding of key concepts. Additional routine and true-false questions have been added as well.
- Thorough: Detailed illustrations support examples and exercises, ensuring student understanding. "Explore and Discuss" questions take concepts a step further and spark student discussion. Other pedagogical tools that help students master the material include: "Self-Check" exercises in every section, "Notes" to clarify more mathematical ideas, "Cautions" highlighting common pitfalls, and more.
- Motivating real-world applications: Included in the 10th edition are more than 100 new and updated modern applications to motivate students and to illustrate the relevance of mathematics in everyday life. Topics include: Mobile Devise Usage; U.S. Public Debt; Outsourcing of Jobs; Inflation; Bank Failures; Social Networks; Gini Index; and Isoquants.
- Portfolio features outlining the real-life experiences of a variety of professionals who use mathematics in the workplace. Among those interviewed are the Senior Vice President of Supply at Earthbound Farms and a Principal Software Engineer at Iron Mountain.
- Technology experiences: "Modeling with Data" exercises appear in many of the Using Technology subsections, giving students an inside look at how the author constructed the functions found in the exercises.
- Algebra review when you need it: A Diagnostic Test at the start of the Preliminaries chapter offers students a chance to see which algebra skills they need to review before beginning regular coursework. Additionally, algebra review notes, keyed to the Preliminaries chapter, appear where you need them, when you need them.
- Study Tabs that work: Convenient color-coded Study Tabs, similar to Post-It® notes, make it easy for students to flag pages that they want to revisit later.
Precalculus Review I. Precalculus Review II. The Cartesian Coordinate System. Straight Lines.
2. FUNCTIONS, LIMITS, AND THE DERIVATIVE.
Functions and Their Graphs. The Algebra of Functions. Functions and Mathematical Models. Limits. One-Sided Limits and Continuity. The Derivative.
Basic Rules of Differentiation. The Product and Quotient Rules. The Chain Rule. Marginal Functions in Economics. Higher-Order Derivatives. Implicit Differentiation and Related Rates. Differentials.
4. APPLICATIONS OF THE DERIVATIVE.
Applications of the First Derivative. Applications of the Second Derivative. Curve Sketching. Optimization I. Optimization II.
5. EXPONENTIAL AND LOGARITHMIC FUNCTIONS.
Exponential Functions. Logarithmic Functions. Compound Interest. Differentiation of Exponential Functions. Differentiation of Logarithmic Functions. Exponential Functions as Mathematical Models.
Antiderivatives and the Rules of Integration. Integration by Substitution. Area and the Definite Integral. The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. Evaluating Definite Integrals. Area between Two Curves. Applications of the Definite Integral to Business and Economics.
7. ADDITIONAL TOPICS IN INTEGRATION.
Integration by Parts. Integration Using Tables of Integrals. Numerical Integration. Improper Integrals. Applications of Calculus to Probability.
8. CALCULUS OF SEVERAL VARIABLES.
Functions of Several Variables. Partial Derivatives. Maxima and Minima of Functions of Several Variables. The Method of Least Squares. Constrained Maxima and Minima and the Method of Lagrange Multipliers. Total Differentials. Double Integrals.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
: Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero is a flexible, online system that allows you to author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions, create multiple test versions in an instant, and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom or wherever you want.
Student Solutions Manual
Contains fully worked-out solutions to all of the odd-numbered exercises in the text, giving students a way to check their answers and ensure that they took the correct steps to arrive at an answer.
Student Solutions Manual
Go beyond the answers--see what it takes to get there and improve your grade! This manual provides worked-out, step-by-step solutions to the odd-numbered problems in the text. This gives you the information you need to truly understand how these problems are solved