Request for consultation
Full of relevant and current real-world applications, Stefan Waner and Steven Costenoble's APPLIED CALCULUS, Fifth Edition helps your students relate to mathematics! Throughout the text is clearly delineated, thorough Microsoft® Excel® and Graphing Calculator instruction, optional so instructors can include any amount of technology instruction in their courses. Acclaimed for accuracy and readability, APPLIED CALCULUS, Fifth Edition connects with all types of teaching and learning styles. Resources like the accompanying website allow the text to support a range of course formats, from traditional lectures to strictly online courses.
- New real data exercises and examples based on topics of current interest like Facebook, Xbox, iPhones, and eBay to help students relate to the material.
- Technology Notes have been enhanced to include step-by-step instructions and key strokes at point of use, to enable better integration of graphing calculators and spreadsheets.
- New Supplementary Notes have been added, providing additional information for the student, further explanations or clarification of concepts, reminders of previously learned material or references for further study, and additional tips for using technology.
- Expanded and reorganized exercise sets gradually increase in level to include more basic skills exercises to help students master the basic concepts.
- New content on Functions in Models in Chapter one brings together topics like revenue, profit, demand, supply, and change of time that occur throughout the book.
- New section on higher order derivatives with added material on concavity and acceleration.
- Expanded list of optional sections available, including Taylor polynomials, chain rule for multivariate calculus, calculus applied to probability, and more!
- Informal "FAQ" question-and-answer dialogues that anticipate the kinds of questions students might have appear at the end of each section. These often informal discussions guide the student through development of new concepts.
- Website: An outstanding text-specific website (www.AppliedCalc.com) offers interactive tutorials, review exercises, and online utilities for a variety of tasks like graphing, regression, and matrix algebra. The site enhances interest, learning, and comprehension.
- Communication and Reasoning Exercises for Writing and Discussion, designed to broaden the student's grasp of the mathematical concepts and develop modeling skills.
- Five Elements of Mathematical Pedagogy: The book discusses many of the central concepts numerically, graphically, and algebraically. It also explores them verbally and interactively.
- Real World Orientation: Making the material come alive for students, the book provides a great diversity, breadth, and abundance of examples and exercises based on real, referenced data from business, economics, the life sciences, and social sciences.
- Clear technology instructions now appear at the end of each chapter as "Technology Guides." These easy to use color-coded guides include instructions for both Microsoft® Excel® and the TI-83/84 Graphing Calculator. Examples in the chapter with corresponding technology instructions are clearly indicated.
Real Numbers. Exponents and Radicals. Multiplying and Factoring Algebraic Equations. Rational Expressions. Solving Polynomial Equations. Solving Miscellaneous Equations. The Coordinate Plane.
1. FUNCTIONS AND LINEAR MODELS.
Functions from the Numerical, Algebraic, and Graphical Viewpoints. Applications: Functions and Models. Linear Functions and Models. Linear Regression. Key Concepts. Review Exercises. Case Study: Modeling Spending on Internet Advertising. Technology Guides. Optional Internet Topic: New Functions from Old: Scaled and Shifted Functions.
2. NONLINEAR FUNCTIONS AND MODELS.
Quadratic Functions and Models. Exponential Functions and Models. Logarithmic Functions and Models. Logistic Functions and Models. Key Concepts. Review Exercises. Case Study: Checking up on Malthus. Technology Guides. Optional Internet Topics: Inverse Functions. Using and Deriving Algebraic Properties of Logarithms.
3. INTRODUCTION TO THE DERIVATIVE.
Limits: Numerical and Graphical Approaches. Limits and Continuity. Limits: Algebraic Approach. Average Rate of Change. Derivatives: Numerical and Graphical Viewpoints. Derivatives: Algebraic Viewpoint. Key Concepts. Review Exercises. Case Study: Reducing Sulfur Emissions. Technology Guides. Optional Internet Topics: Sketching the Graph of the Derivative. Proof of the Power Rule. Continuity and Differentiability.
4. TECHNIQUES OF DIFFERENTIATION WITH APPLICATIONS.
Derivatives of Powers, Sums, and Constant Multiples. A First Application: Marginalnalysis. The Product and Quotient Rules. The Chain Rule. Derivatives of Logarithmic and Exponential Functions. Implicit Differentiation. Key Concepts. Review Exercises. Case Study: Projecting Market Growth. Technology Guides. Optional Internet Topic: Linear Approximation and Error Estimation.
5. FURTHER APPLICATIONS OF THE DERIVATIVE.
Maxima and Minima. Applications of Maxima and Minima. Higher Order Derivatives: Acceleration and Concavity. Analyzing Graphs. Related Rates. Elasticity. Key Concepts. Review Exercises. Case Study: Production Lot Size Management. Technology Guides.
6. THE INTEGRAL.
The Indefinite Integral. Substitution. The Definite Integral: Numerical and Graphical Approaches. The Definite Integral: Algebraic Approach and the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. Key Concepts. Review Exercises. Case Study: Wage Inflation. Technology Guides. Optional Internet Topic: Numerical Integration.
7. FURTHER INTEGRATION TECHNIQUES AND APPLICATIONS OF THE INTEGRAL.
Integration by Parts. Area Between Two Curves and Applications. Averages and Moving Averages. Applications to Business and Economics: Consumers'''' and Producers'''' Surplus and Continuous Income Streams. Improper Integrals and Applications. Differential Equations and Applications. Key Concepts. Review Exercises. Case Study: Estimating Tax Revenues. Technology Guides. Optional Internet Topic: Taylor Polynomials.
8. FUNCTIONS OF SEVERAL VARIABLES.
Functions of Several Variables from the Numerical, Algebraic, and Graphical Viewpoints. Partial Derivatives. Maxima and Minima. Constrained Maxima and Minima and Applications. Double Integrals and Applications. Key Concepts. Review Exercises. Case Study: Modeling Household Income. Technology Guides. Optional Internet Topic: The Chain Rule for Functions of Several Variables.
9. TRIGONOMETRIC MODELS.
Trigonometric Functions, Models, and Regression. Derivatives of Trigonometric Functions and Applications. Integrals of Trigonometric Functions and Applications. Key Concepts. Review Exercises. Case Study: Predicting Cocoa Inventories. Technology Guides.
ANSWERS TO SELECTED EXERCISES.
OPTIONAL INTERNET TOPIC.
S. CALCULUS APPLIED TO PROBABILITY AND STATISTICS.
Continuous Random Variables and Histograms.
Probability Density Functions: Uniform, Exponential, Normal, and Beta.
Mean, Median, Variance and Standard Deviation.
Case Study: Creating a Family Trust.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Website with Complete Solutions Manual
Complete solutions to all the problems in the text. Available as a downloadable pdf on the instructor companion site.
Instructor's Website with PowerPoint®, Image Library
Available via the instructor companion site, the PowerPoint®, Image Library for Waner/Costenoble's Applied Calculus helps you make your lectures more engaging while effectively reaching your visually oriented students.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to author, edit, and manage test bank content; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want. This is available online via www.cengage.com/login.
Student Solutions Manual
The manual contains complete solutions for all odd-numbered exercises in the text, plus additional algebra steps and review for selected problems.
Student Solutions Manual
Check your work and reinforce your understanding with this manual, which contains complete solutions for all odd-numbered exercises in the text. You will also find problem-solving strategies plus additional algebra steps and review for selected problems.