Request for consultation
Engaging and student-friendly, An Overview of the Human Services is designed for undergraduates just beginning to study the field of human services. Because the field encompasses many career opportunities, skills, client populations, and job duties, this text not only introduces students to the field, but also helps them to decide which specialty is right for them. With more than 14 years of teaching experience in the renowned human service program at California State University, Fullerton, and experience as a clinical psychotherapist in a variety of human service agencies, author Kristi Kanel is well versed in current trends in human services and knows how to motivate students to learn and appreciate the material. An Overview of the Human Services provides a thorough history of the field; a detailed overview of human services agencies, jobs, workers, and populations served; a clear analysis of the major theories of causality; and helpful special chapters on important topics, such as ethics and stress management. At the same time, the book moves beyond lecture-style instruction, bringing the concepts to life and actively engaging students in the subject matter via a wide range of special features.
- Critical Thinking/Self-Reflection boxes within each chapter serve as catalysts for students to explore their own values and emotional and cognitive reactions to the topics under consideration.
- True Stories from Human Services Workers boxes within each chapter contain narratives of true experiences of human services workers in the field, which enable students to visualize the topics under consideration in a real-world context.
- Suggested Applied Activities at the end of each chapter bring chapter concepts to life and help students to personalize what they have read by asking them to reflect on their own lives, role play with other students, and perform activities outside of class.
- A Case Presentation and an Exit Quiz at the end of each chapter provide students with further opportunities to see chapter concepts played out in a real world context.
- The Appendix: Human Service Career Inventory consists of 15 questions designed to aid students in narrowing their focus and formulating their educational and career goals.
- Additional chapter resources include chapter summaries, chapter review questions, and glossaries of key terms boldfaced within the chapter.
2. A Brief History of Human Services
3. Human Service Workers
4. Communication Skills and Personal Characteristics of Human Service Workers
5. Biological and Psychological Theories of Causality
6. Sociological Theories of Causality
7. Populations That Utilize Human Services
8. Micro- and Mezzo-Level Assessments and Interventions
9. Human Services Delivery to Client Populations
10. Stress Management
11. Ethical Issues in the Human Services
12. Organizational Structures of Human Services Agencies and Macro-Level Practice
Appendix: Human Services Career Inventory
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual
The instructor's manual contains a variety of resources to aid instructors in preparing and presenting text material in a manner that meets their personal preferences and course needs. It presents suggestions and resources to enhance and facilitate learning.
Online Test Bank
For assessment support, the updated test bank includes multiple-choice and short-answer/ essay questions for each chapter.
These vibrant Microsoft® PowerPoint® lecture slides for each chapter assist you with your lecture by providing concept coverage from the textbook.
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Cengage Learning's Counseling CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. CourseMate includes an integrated MindTap™ Reader, video with activities, exercises, case studies, glossary, flashcards, and quizzing -as well as the Engagement Tracker gradebook, a first-of-its-kind tool that monitors student engagement in the course.
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Cengage Learning's Counseling CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Access to CourseMate includes an integrated MindTap™ Reader, video with activities, exercises, case studies, glossary, flashcards, and quizzing.