Request for consultation
With real-world examples and an emphasis on ethics throughout, AN INVITATION TO SOCIAL RESEARCH: HOW IT'S DONE, Fifth Edition combines balanced coverage of quantitative and qualitative methods of social research with a unique “behind the scenes” approach. Built on focal research pieces and excerpts from real research projects, chapters present the insights, perspectives, and challenges of actual researchers in the field. The result is a comprehensive resource that guides readers step by step through the many stages of social research-from selecting a researchable question and designing a study to choosing the best method of data analysis for a particular study-and prepares them for the ethical issues and problems that they may face along the way. Reflecting the latest practices from the field, the Fifth Edition also integrates a greater emphasis on research focusing on evidence-based programs and policy.
- More relevant and timely than ever, AN INVITATION TO SOCIAL RESEARCH: HOW IT'S DONE, Fifth Edition integrates a greater emphasis on research focusing on evidence-based programs and policy.
- New Chapter Objectives presented at the beginning of each chapter help students focus on key content, maximizing their study time and retention of important concepts.
- Connecting text topics to real-world practice, Social Science research “in the news” features appear in many chapters, highlighting critical content specific to chapter material-such as legal battles over a drug education program.
- Four new focal research pieces are incorporated into the new edition, bringing the total to thirteen. Chapter 6 now includes two new pieces on measurement-one explores ways to measure “happiness” and the other considers reliability and validity issues with current measures of “suicide”.
- End-of-chapter exercises give students hands-on experience analyzing all aspects of social research and the research process.
- Stop and Think/Stop and Do exercises provide timely check-in points for students to ensure they completely understand material before moving on to new topics.
- The text's unique “Thinking About Ethics” feature prompts students to thoroughly consider the ethics of social research as it applies to the various chapter topics.
- Expansive coverage of emerging techniques in social research methods explores visual methods, GIS, and mapping patterns.
- End-of-chapter exercises fully incorporate visual methods.
- Focal research articles and excerpts highlight the logistical and ethical issues faced during real-world social research.
- Quantitative and qualitative methods receive balanced coverage throughout the text.
2. Theory and Research.
3. Ethics and Social Research.
4. Planning a Research Project.
7. Cross-Sectional, Longitudinal, and Case Study Designs.
8. Experimental Research.
9. Questionnaires and Structured Interviews.
10. Qualitative Interviewing.
11. Observational Techniques.
12. Using Available Data.
13. Content Analysis.
14. Applied Social Research.
15. Quantitative and Qualitative Data Analysis.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual
Prepare for class more quickly and effectively with such resources as learning objectives, lecture outlines, key terms with page references, in-class assignments, homework assignments, video suggestions, and Internet exercises.
Organize your lectures efficiently with these chapter-specific PowerPoint® slides, available on the companion website for the text.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access