Request for consultation
AN INVITATION TO POLITICAL THOUGHT is a student-friendly introductory text/reader for political theory that includes a clearly guided explanation of western political thought from Plato to Nietzsche with accompanying primary sources. AN INVITATION TO POLITICAL THOUGHT thus saves the student money by uniquely combining both explanatory essays and primary sources in a single volume. Each chapter begins with an examination of the life of and legacy of an epic political thinker and then proceeds to unpack that thinker's core teaching on such enduring questions as human nature, state and society, justice, political obligation, war and peace, political education, gender and politics, rights and revolution. Other pedagogical features include case studies that relate the material to current events, questions for reflection, a list of key terms, a list of sources, and helpful websites for further reading.
- Individual chapters discuss themes and insights of each of the major political thinkers, from Plato to Nietzsche.
- The opening chapters raise questions about issues such as human community, politics, and justice.
- Concluding chapters survey contemporary currents in political thought and apply what has been learned to other endeavors.
- Each chapter includes a 10-page introduction about questions and themes, followed by a 20-page edited selection This is then followed by a 5-page application of those teachings to current topics.
- Boxes that appear throughout the text raise other related issues for discussion.
3. St. Augustine.
4. St. Thomas Aquinas.
5. Luther and Calvin.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.