Request for consultation
With a new DVD showing chapter concepts in real-world practice, best-selling AN INTRODUCTION TO HUMAN SERVICES, 7e delivers a uniquely practical and comprehensive introduction to the human service profession. Drawing on the authors’ extensive experience as practitioners, educators, and researchers, the text defines human services, reviews the historical development of the field, provides a practical overview of the profession, and emphasizes the skills needed to succeed as a human services practitioner. The text provides a solid grounding in such fundamental concepts as serving the whole person, using an interdisciplinary approach, interacting with helper and client, preparing generalists, and empowering clients. Every chapter includes detailed case studies to highlight the practical applications of key concepts and prepare students to effectively address issues they are likely to encounter as helping professionals. In addition, the new accompanying DVD adds compelling demonstrations by skilled professionals to illustrate basic concepts.
- New! Providing real-world illustrations for every chapter, the new DVD demonstrates chapter concepts in action! Segments vary from vignettes about clients and helping strategies to professionals and the challenges they encounter in their work.
- New! Cutting-edge cases and applications provide a number of ways for students to apply concepts and strategies introduced in the text to real-world scenarios.
- New! End-of-chapter “Want to Know More?” features give students a variety of resources to further explore concepts and issues related to that chapter.
- New! A number of new features relate to service delivery: a section on evidence-based practice and how it influences human services practice, an expanded focus on the strengths-based perspective, emphasis on the importance of outreach, and new information about issues related to children, youth, military veterans, and families.
- New! Every chapter has been thoroughly revised and updated to reflect the latest research, new ideas in theory, and leading innovations in practice, important influences on human services, and new challenges and special issues facing today’s practitioners.
- Published simultaneously with the text and bundled with each copy of the Instructor’s Edition, the companion student workbook ACTIVITIES AND EXERCISES FOR AN INTRODUCTION TO HUMAN SERVICES helps students master course concepts through assignments and self-study exercises.
- Integrated summary checks and end-of-chapter summaries make it easy to identify key points when designing class assignments, preparing exams, or suggesting study topics for students.
- Excerpts of primary source material offer a useful first-hand perspective as well as suggestions for additional information, making it simple to integrate other books, electronic materials, and media resources into course activities to match your students’ unique interests.
- The text accurately documents the rapidly evolving environment in which human services are delivered, covering such key topics as shifting demographics, the increasing conservative influence, developing technologies, the agency setting, and common day-to-day challenges students are likely to face in their careers.
- Self-assessments at the end of each chapter allow students to check their mastery of chapter content. Suggestions for additional resources encourage students to further explore topics and issues.
- Interwoven throughout, the text’s unique international perspective provides valuable insight into today’s global environment. In-depth coverage of increasingly important diversity issues also are integrated throughout.
- A comprehensive suite of instructor’s resources helps faculty easily prepare for the course. They include chapter objectives, summaries, PowerPoint slides, outlines, test bank, as well as activities and questions that assist students in reading, reviewing, and applying concepts.
- An engaging and enjoyable read, this student-friendly text delivers a comprehensive introduction to the human services field and the essential skills students need to succeed as working professionals.
- Each chapter includes chapter objectives, multiple detailed real-world case studies with focus questions, lists of key terms, a summary of important Things to Remember, and suggested readings for further information--all designed to make instruction more effective and facilitate student learning.
- Compelling real-world case studies in each chapter illustrate key concepts and provide a useful guide to practical considerations facing human service professionals today.
- Completely up to date, case studies illustrate each human service delivery model, while a special concluding case study integrates all three models. In addition, the expansive human service model includes a strengths perspective.
1. An Introduction to Human Services.
2. A History of Helping.
3. Human Services Today.
4. Models of Human Service Delivery.
Part II: CLIENTS AND HELPERS IN HUMAN SERVICES.
5. The Client.
6. The Human Service Professional.
Part 3: THE PRACTICE OF HUMAN SERVICES.
7. The Helping Process.
8. Working Within a System.
9. Professional Concerns.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual
The instructor's resource manual (IRM) contains a variety of resources to aid instructors in preparing and presenting text material in a manner that meets their personal preferences and course needs. It presents chapter-by-chapter suggestions and resources to enhance and facilitate learning.
Online Test Bank
Available to adopting instructors, the Test Bank includes multiple-choice, true/false, and essay questions for each chapter of the text.
These vibrant Microsoft® PowerPoint® lecture slides for each chapter assist you with your lecture by providing concept coverage using images, figures, and tables directly from the textbook.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access for Woodside/McClam's An Introduction to Human Services
Student Workbook (Case plus App)
This hands-on work-text equips students with a practitioner perspective through realistic cases about the profession of human services. Students study and apply concepts using cases, quizzes, and questions that encourage them to reflect upon their own understandings of the concepts. Each chapter begins with a focus issue, followed by case and summary sections, case questions, self-assessments, and case comments.
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. CourseMate includes an integrated eBook, quizzes, flashcards, videos, and EngagementTracker-a first-of-its-kind tool that monitors student engagement in the course. The accompanying instructor website offers access to password-protected resources such as an electronic version of the instructor's manual and PowerPoint® slides.
Student Workbook (Case plus App)
Using realistic cases about the profession of human services, this insightful work-text equips you with a true practitioner perspective. Cases, quizzes, and questions encourage you to reflect upon your own understandings of the concepts. Each chapter begins with a focus issue, followed by case and summary sections, case questions, self-assessments, and case comments.
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Access an integrated eBook and chapter-specific learning tools including flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more in your CourseMate. Go to CengageBrain.com.