Request for consultation
AMERICAN POPULAR MUSIC: A MULTICULTURAL HISTORY provides a sweeping broad-based survey that also tells the story of American popular music from African American, European American, Latino, Asian, and Native American perspectives. With detailed, easy-to-understand explanations of key musical concepts and terms, this text integrates a critical listening approach using "CD Listening exercises" that work in conjunction with the available CD set. It also enables students to compare and contrast the musical, cultural, and societal elements covered, so they easily comprehend the important styles and influential artists that have contributed to the development of American popular music.
Part I: AFRICAN AMERICAN ROOTS�THE EMERGENCE OF THE DOMINANT CULTURE OF AMERICAN POPULAR MUSIC.
2. African Origins and Influences.
3. From Minstrelsy to the Blues.
4. Early Jazz: From Ragtime to Swing.
Part II: EUROPEAN AMERICAN TRADITIONS AND INFLUENCES.
5. From Hymns to Wind Bands.
6. The Golden Age of American Popular Song.
7. Country Music.
Part III: LATIN MUSICS IN AMERICA FORM A NEW BLEND.
8. America's Afro-Caribbean and Latin Musical Heritage.
9. Chicano and Mexican Popular Music in America.
Part IV: NATIVE AMERICAN AND ASIAN INFLUENCES.
10. Native American Popular Music.
11. Asian and Pacific American Popular Musics.
Part V: FROM MODERN JAZZ TO HIP HOP�60 YEARS OF EVOLVING TRADITIONS.
12. From Bebop to Acid Jazz.
13. Early R&B and Rock: The Late 40s and the 50s.
14. Girl Groups, Surf Music, and Soul.
15. Folk-Rock, the British Invasion, and Psychedelia.
16. R&B and Its Descendents After the 60s.
17. Rock After the 60s.
This approach is much needed in general, and particularly in music, where influences of diverse cultures are of such importance. Thank you for creating this book.
Excellent sense detail and interest in the writing. There are just enough details and facts on each artist to give an overall sense of who they were/are but not so much info that it blunts the impact of the major points or obscures larger concepts.
This text is very up-to-date; the discussion is carried to the present and music that students are likely to know or have heard about.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.