Request for consultation
AMERICAN GOVERNMENT AND POLITICS TODAY: THE ESSENTIALS, 2017-2018 Edition, inspires students to join the exciting process of being active, informed citizens. Unbiased, concisely organized, and updated with Election 2016 coverage, the text's fundamental theme continues to be the importance of participating in active citizenship, emphasizing critical thinking about political issues, and encouraging students to become involved in the political process. With a keen understanding of the needs and interests of today's students, the authors incorporate compelling and thought-provoking current examples to stimulate learning and excitement. MindTap®, Cengage Learning's fully online learning solution, is available and fully integrated with this text.
- "Election 2016" results are placed in the context of each chapter's subject matter. These features help students think critically about recent events and consider them in the context of American political theory and history.
- A "Consider the Source" feature stimulates students to think more critically about primary sources from which many statistics and statements are derived in American government research.
- With a concise organization and highly readable style, this text provides thorough coverage in a streamlined format.
- The 2017-2018 Edition engages students by focusing on how government impacts them. Chapter 1 shows students how government is everywhere, at every stage of their lives. "Why Should You Care About. . ." and "How You Can Make a Difference" features encourage community and political participation, and student demographics, social media, and cross-generational information is incorporated throughout.
- Learning Outcomes appear at the opening of each chapter and correlate to each major section to help students target their reading, and are revisited in the chapter summary and end-of-chapter quiz. These outcomes are tied to the Introduction to American Government outcomes that are expected from most courses across the country.
- "What If…." and "Beyond Our Borders" features engage students' interest while encouraging them to think critically about key concepts and current events and to develop a more informed and global perspective.
- "Which Side Are You On?" features challenge students to take a stand on controversial issues and explore ways to take action.
- An Additional Resources section at the end of each chapter prompts students to engage with the material outside of class. This feature includes current online resources, books, and videos.
1. The Democratic Republic.
2. The Constitution.
Part II: CIVIL RIGHTS AND LIBERTIES.
4. Civil Liberties.
5. Civil Rights.
Part III: PEOPLE AND POLITICS.
6. Public Opinion and Political Socialization.
7. Interest Groups.
8. Political Parties.
9. Campaigns and Elections.
10. The Media.
Part IV: POLITICAL INSTITUTIONS.
11. The Congress.
12. The President.
13. The Bureaucracy.
14. The Courts.
Part V: PUBLIC POLICY.
15. Domestic and Economic Policy.
16. Foreign Policy.
Appendix A: The Declaration of Independence.
Appendix B: The Constitution of the United States and Amendments to the Constitution of the United States
Appendix C: Federalist Papers Nos. 10, 51, and No. 78.
Appendix D: Justices of the U.S. Supreme Court since 1900.
Appendix E: Party Control of Congress since 1900.
Appendix F: The Presidents of the United States.
"American Government and Politics Today: The Essentials provides students with a relevant, interactive text that attempts to take them outside of the classroom environment and into their everyday lives. Having the ability to link the past to the present, while also thinking ahead to the future, is a difficult task for authors in a subject seemingly overloaded with textbook options. However, Bardes, Shelley and Schmidt have adopted a rational approach and create a learning environment within the textbook itself to keep with the theme of having students as active, informed citizens."
"It covers the necessary material in a clear and concise manner... The tables and figures are universally useful."
"[This] book has the unique ability to be very instructor- and student-centered. Most texts are one or the other."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.