Request for consultation
This 14-chapter text uses a combination of Alice 3 and pure Java to introduce beginning students to object-oriented (OO) programming concepts. Originally developed to eliminate barriers that have traditionally prevented many students from successfully learning to program, Alice 3, the latest release, makes it easy to build 3D animations using models from the popular Sims™ games, while eliminating syntax errors. The text employs a "spiral" pedagogical approach: the first six chapters use Alice's innovative drag-and-drop environment to introduce OO concepts through the medium of computer animation, while the final eight chapters use pure Java to revisit and expand on those same concepts. The text introduces core programming topics--including objects, classes, methods, variables, parameters, control structures, inheritance, and data structures--using the visually stimulating context of 3D animation to ensure that students are both motivated and prepared to continue their studies in Computer Science.
- More than 200 new illustrations demonstrate how to use Alice 3's new integrated development environment (IDE).
- Examples throughout the first six chapters are based on Alice 3's professionally created Sims™ models, donated by Electronic Arts; examples in the final eight chapters have been updated to the latest version of Java.
- Several new animation examples, including aerobics exercises and a "penguin party," add to the book's appeal.
- A multi-chapter project shows students how to create and develop a complete project from start to finish.
- Features full coverage of object-oriented features--including classes, class hierarchies, and inheritance-- in both Alice 3 and Java.
- Introduces coverage of the NetBeans IDE, including how to open Alice 3 projects in NetBeans.
- Uses Java syntax throughout in order to seamlessly transition from Alice 3 to Java.
- Includes extensive examples, images, and end-of-chapter projects to reinforce and assess skills.
- Creates a positive first exposure to programming while helping students to grasp object-oriented concepts.
- Motivates today's visually oriented students through the use of engaging 3D animations.
- Starts with the familiar world of filmmaking to help students understand the unfamiliar world of programming.
- Designed as a full core text for an introductory programming course.
- Uses Alice 3's drag-and-drop environment to introduce the fundamentals of programming without syntax errors.
- "Spiral" pedagogical approach covers objects, methods, variables, control structures, arrays, and events in both Alice 3 and Java.
3. Variables and Expressions.
4. Flow Control.
7. From Alice to Java
8. Types and Expressions
10. Flow Control in Java
11. Files and Exceptions
12. Arrays and Lists in Java
13. Object-Oriented Programming
14. Events and GUIs
Appendix A. Alice Standard Methods and Functions.
Appendix B. Recursion.
Appendix C. NetBeans
Appendix D. Java Keywords
Appendix E. Unicode Basic Latin Character Set.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
All instructor materials are available for instructor download at sso.cengage.com. Designed to help facilitate classroom instruction, the instructor resources are unique to the textbook. Items such as an Instructor's Manual, PowerPoint slides, computerized test bank, Syllabi, and Solution Files are offered. Contact your sales rep for more information.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access