Request for consultation
This market-leading text continues to provide students and instructors with sound, consistently structured explanations of the mathematical concepts. Designed for a two-term course, the new Seventh Edition retains the features that have made Algebra and Trigonometry a complete solution for both students and instructors: interesting applications, cutting-edge design, and innovative technology combined with an abundance of carefully written exercises.
- Side-by-side Example Solutions for select examples include multiple problem solving approaches--such as algebraic, graphical, and numerical--to appeal to a variety of teaching and learning styles.
- Checkpoints after each Example/Solution refer students to similar drills in the Section Exercises, allowing students to practice and reinforce the concepts they just learned. Answers to Checkpoints are included at the back of the book.
- Vocabulary Checks open every set of Section Exercises. This review of mathematical terms, formulas, and theorems provides regular assessment and reinforcement of students' understanding of algebraic language and concepts.
- Exercise Sets have been carefully analyzed and revised to improve the categorization of problems from basic skill-building to challenging; improve the pairing of similar odd- and even-numbered exercises; update all real data; and add real-life and real-data applications.
- Make a Decision applications--presented throughout the text at the end of selected exercise sets--are based on large sets of real data. These extended modeling applications give students the opportunity to use all the mathematical concepts and techniques they've learned and apply them to large sets of real date--analyzing it, graphing it, and making conjectures about its behavior. These applications are featured in Eduspace and the Online Learning Center in an interactive format.
- Eduspace, powered by Blackboard, Houghton Mifflin's online learning environment, brings your students quality online homework, tutorials, multimedia, and testing that correspond to the Algebra and Trigonometry text. This content is paired with the recognized course management tools of Blackboard.
- The addition of Precalculus with Limits and Precalculus: A Concise Course to the Precalculus series enhances the scope of the series, making it even more flexible and adaptable to a variety of learning and teaching styles.
P.1 Review of Real Numbers and Their Properties
P.2 Exponents and Radicals
P.3 Polynomials and Special Products
P.4 Factoring Polynomials
P.5 Rational Expressions
P.6 Errors and the Algebra of Calculus
P.7 The Rectangular Coordinate System and Graphs
1. Equations, Inequalities, and Mathematical Modeling
1.1 Graphs of Equations
1.2 Linear Equations in One Variable
1.3 Modeling with Linear Equations
1.4 Quadratic Equations and Applications
1.5 Complex Numbers
1.6 Other Types of Equations
1.7 Linear Inequalities in One Variable
1.8 Other Types of Inequalities
2. Functions and Their Graphs
2.1 Linear Equations in Two Variables
2.3 Analyzing Graphs of Functions
2.4 A Library of Parent Functions
2.5 Transformations of Functions
2.6 Combinations of Functions: Composite Functions
2.7 Inverse Functions
Cumulative Test: Chapters P-2
3. Polynomial Functions
3.1 Quadratic Functions and Models
3.2 Polynomial Functions of Higher Degree
3.3 Polynomial and Synthetic Division
3.4 Zeros of Polynomial Functions
3.5 Mathematical Modeling and Variation
4. Rational Functions and Conics
4.1 Rational Functions and Asymptotes
4.2 Graphs of Rational Functions
4.4 Translations of Conics
5. Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
5.1 Exponential Functions and Their Graphs
5.2 Logarithmic Functions and Their Graphs
5.3 Properties of Logarithms
5.4 Exponential and Logarithmic Equations
5.5 Exponential and Logarithmic Models
Cumulative Test: Chapters 3-5
6.1 Angles and Their Measure
6.2 Right Triangle Trigonometry
6.3 Trigonometric Functions of Any Angle
6.4 Graphs of Sine and Cosine Functions
6.5 Graphs of Other Trigonometric Functions
6.6 Inverse Trigonometric Functions
6.7 Applications and Models
7. Analytic Trigonometry
7.1 Using Fundamental Identities
7.2 Verifying Trigonometric Identities
7.3 Solving Trigonometric Equations
7.4 Sum and Difference Formulas
7.5 Multiple-Angle and Product-to-Sum Formulas
8. Additional Topics in Trigonometry
8.1 Law of Sines
8.2 Law of Cosines
8.3 Vectors in the Plane
8.4 Vectors and Dot Products
8.5 Trigonometric Form of a Complex Number
Cumulative Test: Chapters 6-8
9. Systems of Equations and Inequalities
9.1 Linear and Nonlinear Systems of Equations
9.2 Two-Variable Linear Systems
9.3 Multivariable Linear Systems
9.4 Partial Fractions
9.5 Systems of Inequalities
9.6 Linear Programming
10. Matrices and Determinants
10.1 Matrices and Systems of Equations
10.2 Operations with Matrices
10.3 The Inverse of a Square Matrix
10.4 The Determinant of a Square Matrix
10.5 Applications of Matrices and Determinants
11. Sequences, Series, and Probability
11.1 Sequences and Series
11.2 Arithmetic Sequences and Partial Sums
11.3 Geometric Sequences and Series
11.4 Mathematical Induction
11.5 The Binomial Theorem
11.6 Counting Principles
Cumulative Test: Chapters 9-11
Appendix A. Concepts in Statistics (web)
A.1 Representing Data
A.2 Measures of Central Tendency and Dispersion
A.3 Least Squares Regression
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
PowerPoint® with Image Library Slides on Instructor's Website
Microsoft® PowerPoint® slides and image library for the entire book, posted on the Instructor Companion Website, let you incorporate images from the book right into your lectures. Available via the Instructor Resource Site.
Complete Solutions Manual with Instructor's Website
This time-saving manual provides complete solutions to all the exercises from the text, including Chapter Review Exercises and Chapter Tests.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want. This is available online via www.cengage.com/login.
Study Guide with Student Solutions Manual
This guide offers step-by-step solutions for all odd-numbered text exercises, Chapter and Cumulative Tests, and Practice Tests with solutions, giving students a way to check their answers and ensure that they took the correct steps to arrive at an answer.
Note Taking Guide
This is an innovative study aid, in the form of a notebook organizer that helps students develop a section-by-section summary of key concepts.
Annotated Instructor's Edition
Instructor Sample/Review copy of Larson’s Algebra & Trigonometry, 10th Edition
Study Guide with Student Solutions Manual
This guide offers step-by-step solutions for all odd-numbered text exercises, Chapter and Cumulative Tests, and Practice Tests with solutions, giving you a way to check your answers.
Note Taking Guide
This innovative study aid, in the form of a notebook organizer, helps you develop a section-by-section summary of key concepts.