Request for consultation
The latest edition in the highly respected Swokowski/Cole precalculus series retains the elements that have made it so popular with instructors and students alike: its exposition is clear, the time-tested exercise sets feature a variety of applications, its uncluttered layout is appealing, and the difficulty level of problems is appropriate and consistent. Mathematically sound, ALGEBRA AND TRIGONOMETRY WITH ANALYTIC GEOMETRY, CLASSIC EDITION, 12E, effectively prepares students for further courses in mathematics through its excellent, time-tested problem sets.
- Packaged free with each book, the Interactive Video Skillbuilder CD-ROM contains more than eight hours of video instruction, featuring a 10-question Web quiz per section (the results of which can be emailed to the instructor), a test for each chapter with answers, and MathCue tutorial and quizzing software.
- Discussion exercises have been added at the end of each chapter to promote further exploration of concepts and group-work.
- New figures help students visualize concepts and interpret data.
- Many new exercises have been added, including, in response to reviewers' suggestions, more exercises that ask students to demonstrate an understanding of the conceptual relationship of an equation and its graph.
- The section on inverse functions now appears at the beginning of Chapter 5, rather than toward the end of Chapter 3. This moves the topic closer to its first use (with exponential and logarithmic functions).
- Great care is taken to explain each concept and include step-by-step comments in the solutions of the examples. Many examples are accompanied by graphs, figures, charts, or tables to help students interpret graphical data.
- The text provides many topical examples showing how mathematical concepts have real-life applications. New applications relate to such diverse topics as the freezing level in a cloud, the number of handgun homicides, the cost of an advertisement during the Super Bowl, the number of Medicare recipients, and the effect of the ozone layer on skin cancer.
- Each exercise set begins with drill problems and then progresses to more challenging problems.
- Exercises involving graphical approximations to solutions have been given increased attention.
Real Numbers. Exponents and Radicals. Algebraic Expressions. Fractional Expressions. Chapter 1 Review Exercises. Chapter 1 Discussion Exercises.
2. EQUATIONS AND INEQUALITIES.
Equations. Applied Problems. Quadratic Equations. Complex Numbers. Other Types of Equations. Inequalities. More on Inequalities. Chapter 2 Review Exercises. Chapter 2 Discussion Exercises.
3. FUNCTIONS AND GRAPHS.
Rectangular Coordinate Systems. Graphs of Equations. Lines. Definition of Function. Graphs of Functions. Quadratic Functions. Operations on Functions. Chapter 3 Review Exercises. Chapter 3 Discussion Exercises.
4. POLYNOMIAL AND RATIONAL FUNCTIONS.
Polynomial Functions of Degree Greater than 2. Properties of Division. Zeros of Polynomials. Complex and Rational Zeros of Polynomials. Rational Functions. Variation. Chapter 4 Review Exercises. Chapter 4 Discussion Exercises.
5. INVERSE, EXPONENTIAL, AND LOGARITHMIC FUNCTIONS.
Inverse Functions. Exponential Functions. The Natural Exponential Function. Logarithmic Functions. Properties of Logarithms. Exponential and Logarithmic Equations. Chapter 5 Review Exercises. Chapter 5 Discussion Exercises.
6. THE TRIGONOMETRIC FUNCTIONS.
Angles. Trigonometric Functions of Angles. Trigonometric Functions of Real Numbers. Values of Trigonometric Functions. Trigonometric Graphs. Additional Trigonometric Graphs. Applied Problems. Chapter 6 Review Exercises. Chapter 6 Discussion Exercises.
7. ANALYTIC TRIGONOMETRY.
Verifying Trigonometric Identities. Trigonometric Equations. The Addition and Subtraction Formulas. Multiple-Angle Formulas. Product-to-Sum and Sum-to-Product Formulas. The Inverse Trigonometric Functions. Chapter 7 Review Exercises. Chapter 7 Discussion Exercises.
8. APPLICATIONS OF TRIGONOMETRY.
The Law of Sines. The Law of Cosines. Trigonometric Form for Complex Numbers. De Moivre's Theorem and nth Roots of Complex Numbers. Vectors. The Dot Product. Chapter 8 Review Exercises. Chapter 8 Discussion Exercises.
9. SYSTEMS OF EQUATIONS AND INEQUALITIES.
Systems of Equations. Systems of Linear Equations in Two Variables. Systems of Linear Equations in More than Two Variables. Partial Fractions. Systems of Inequalities. Linear Programming. The Algebra of Matrices. The Inverse of a Matrix. Determinants. Properties of Determinants. Chapter 9 Review Exercises. Chapter 9 Discussion Exercises.
10. SEQUENCES, SERIES, AND PROBABILITY.
Infinite Sequences and Summation Notation. Arithmetic Sequences. Geometric Sequences. Mathematical Induction. The Binomial Theorem. Permutations. Distinguishable Permutations and Combinations. Probability. Chapter 10 Review Exercises. Chapter 10 Discussion Exercises.
11. TOPICS FROM ANALYTIC GEOMETRY.
Parabolas. Ellipses. Hyperbolas. Plane Curves and Parametric Equations. Polar Coordinates. Polar Equations of Conics. Chapter 11 Review Exercises. Chapter 11 Discussion Exercises.
Answers to Selected Exercises.
Index of Applications.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Student's Solutions Manual, Classic Edition
Instructor's Solutions Manual, Classic Edition
Student's Solutions Manual, Classic Edition
Prepare for exams and succeed in your mathematics course with this comprehensive solutions manual! Featuring worked out-solutions to the problems in ALGEBRA AND TRIGONOMETRY WITH ANALYTIC GEOMETRY, 12th Edition, this manual shows you how to approach and solve problems using the same step-by-step explanations found in your textbook examples.