Request for consultation
The only book of its kind on the market, ADVANCED PHARMACY PRACTICE, 3rd Edition explores nontraditional pharmacy practice for both pharmacists and pharmacy technicians. As pharmacy practice expands into long-term care, home health, home-infusion, mail-order, and hospice, pharmacy professionals must develop new skills in service delivery while accepting new roles and increased responsibility in the workplace. ADVANCED PHARMACY PRACTICE, 3rd Edition prepares readers for these challenges while introducing the latest research and technologies in less familiar settings, such as specialty, nuclear, veterinary, and federal pharmacy, as well as telepharmacy and the pharmaceutical industry. Chapters outline and differentiate pharmacy technician and pharmacist roles in each practice setting. Features include learning objectives, chapter summaries, critical-thinking questions and answers, key terms, detailed appendices, and a variety of traditional and e-learning supplements for more practice and better memorization. ADVANCED PHARMACY PRACTICE, 3rd Edition is an inclusive resource for students and professionals in all stages of their pharmacy careers.
- New Chapters: All new chapters include discussions on complex specialty drugs, compounding for veterinary pharmacies, and the fast-growing and underserved area of telepharmacy.
- Modern Health Care: Updates include new and far-reaching changes to US legislation, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA), regulations for long-term care, managed care pharmacy, the Patient's Bill of Rights, and more.
- More Discussions: Expanded topics include the prescription filling process in a mail-order pharmacy, new Internet pharmacy regulations, the latest accreditation standards, standardized federal pharmacy training, and changes to practice in Indian Health Service and the VA.
- Future Developments: A revised section on biotechnology examines new legislation and the approval process for generic biotechnology drugs in the pharmaceutical industry, as well as post-marketing studies, user fee programs, pharmacogenomics, and the overall future of drug development.
- Current Roles: The revised final chapter discusses advanced roles, employment, and career development opportunities for pharmacists and pharmacy technicians, along with future trends in advanced pharmacy practice.
- Critical Thinking: End-of-chapter questions encourage critical thinking and ask readers to apply new skills.
- Domestic Overview: A solid review of the current US health care system provides the backdrop for understanding each of the specialty areas of pharmacy.
- Defined Roles: Unique characteristics of each specialty area, as well as differentiated roles of pharmacy technicians and pharmacists, clarify specific responsibilities for each profession and within each practice setting.
- Complete Discussions: Coverage of all specialty areas of practice includes behind-the-scenes information, drug manufacturers, military applications, corporate settings, and more.
2. Introduction to Long-Term Care.
3. The Long-Term Care Pharmacy.
4. Legislation and Regulations for Long-Term Care Pharmacy.
5. The Roles of the Pharmacist and the Pharmacy Technician in Long-Term Care.
6. Home Health Care.
7. Home Infusion Pharmacy.
8. Managed Care Pharmacy.
9. Mail-Order Pharmacy.
10. Specialty Pharmacy .
11. Nuclear Pharmacy.
12. Hospice Pharmacy.
13. Veterinary Pharmacy.
15. Federal Pharmacy.
16. Pharmaceutical Industry.
17. Advanced Roles and Future Trends in Pharmacy.
Appendix A: Material Safety Data Sheet.
Appendix B: Pharmacy Organizations.
Appendix C: Pharmacy Publications.
Appendix D: Answers to Self-Assessment Questions.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
CourseMate Instant Access
Interested in a simple way to complement your text and course content with study and practice materials? Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Watch reader comprehension soar as your class works with the printed textbook and the textbook-specific website. CourseMate goes beyond the book to deliver what you need!
CourseMate Instant Access
The more you study, the better the results. Make the most of your study time by accessing everything you need to succeed in one place. CourseMate includes: An interactive eBook with highlighting, note taking, an interactive glossary, and interactive learning tools, including: Homework, Quizzes, Flashcards, PowerPoint® presentations, and more!