Request for consultation
Current, comprehensive, and designed to maximize clarity of essential concepts, longtime best-seller ADVANCED NUTRITION AND HUMAN METABOLISM delivers its signature quality content in a student-friendly way. The 7th Edition continues to set the standard through the authors' ability to clearly and accurately explain even the most complex metabolic processes and concepts, while staying at an undergraduate level. It gives students a solid understanding of digestion, absorption, and metabolism of fat, protein, and carbohydrates; examines the structures and functions of water-soluble and fat-soluble vitamins -- including their regulatory roles in metabolism; and provides information on vitamin and mineral food sources, recommended intakes, deficiency, and toxicity. With ADVANCED NUTRITION AND HUMAN METABOLISM, 7th Edition, students will be well prepared to continue their studies in the field of nutrition.
- Expanded discussions on various topics, as well as additional discussions on the impact of clinical conditions on nutrient metabolism and needs.
- Tables have been added providing information on the vitamin contents of foods as well as overview tables identifying common manifestations of vitamin deficiencies.
- Several new figures and "Perspectives" have been added, and many existing illustrations have been modified to more clearly and accurately represent important structures and processes.
- The quality of the text overall has been improved through clearer explanations of difficult concepts.
- Presenting topics to students in a systematic, logical manner, the text's cells-to-systems approach focuses on normal nutrition and physiological function in humans.
- Each chapter begins with an outline of the chapter's content and ends with a chapter summary and additional resources. There is also a thorough index and glossary.
- Figures and tables are included to present key concepts and provide a more visual reference for the material.
- Cutting-edge "Perspectives" at the end of each chapter elaborate on nutritional biochemistry topics with the latest research and pique student interest.
1. The Cell: A Microcosm of Life.
2. The Digestive System: Mechanism for Nourishing the Body.
SECTION II: MACRONUTRIENTS AND THEIR METABOLISM.
7. Integration and Regulation of Metabolism and the Impact of Exercise.
8. Energy Expenditure, Body Composition and Healthy Weight.
SECTION III: THE REGULATORY NUTRIENTS.
9. The Water-Soluble Vitamins.
10. The Fat-Soluble Vitamins.
11. Major Minerals.
12. Water and Electrolytes.
13. Essential Trace and Ultratrace Minerals.
14. Nonessential Trace and Ultratrace Minerals.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as PowerPoint presentations, images, instructor’s manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.