Request for consultation
The Advantage version of Charles Hoffer’s best-selling MUSIC LISTENING TODAY retains all the key features of the regular edition, but published in a more economical black and white format. Both versions offer the same complete course solution that develops student’s listening skills while teaching them to appreciate the different styles, forms, and genres of music. With dozens of engaging familiar and less familiar selections at their fingertips, students will learn how to listen to and appreciate all types of music, including a variety of popular music from cultures around the world. The chronological organization and modular format makes it easy to organize your course in whatever way you choose.
- New! 11 new pieces to broaden musical coverage each complete with a Listening Guide for easy student learning.
- New! Greater flexibility of assignments with reorganization of end-of-book content, consolidating twentieth-century music more chronologically and placing popular and world music in stand-alone sections.
- New! References in the back of the text summarizing all "Features Of" charts in the book, as well as now concluding chapters with a "Main Points of This Chapter" section.
- A complete package with text and two CDs covers all major works in the course.
- Compact coverage of key genres including Western, popular, folk, and world music; short composer biographies; and informational boxes provide context for selections.
- Accessible content offers brief chapters, Listening Guides, and student-friendly music selections.
- Downloadable Active Listening Guides perfectly synchronized with the music provide musical examples and commentary as the selection plays.
1. Music Listening and You.
3. Melody and Harmony.
4. Dynamics, Timbre, and Organization.
5. Orchestral Instruments.
6. Other Musical Instruments.
II. EARLY, MEDIEVAL, AND RENAISSANCE MUSIC.
7. Early Western Music.
8. Medieval Music.
9. Renaissance Music.
III. BAROQUE MUSIC.
10. The Baroque Period.
11. Oratorio and Cantata.
12. Opera in the Baroque.
13. Baroque Instrumental Music: Suite and Sonata.
14. Baroque Instrumental Music: Concerto and Fugue.
IV. CLASSICAL MUSIC.
15. Classicism and Classical Music.
16. Sonata Form.
17. The Concerto.
18. Classical Opera.
19. Chamber Music.
20. Piano Sonatas.
21. The Symphony and Beethoven.
V. ROMANTIC MUSIC.
22. Romance and Romanticism.
23. Early Romantic Music.
24. Romantic Piano Music.
25. Program and Ballet Music.
26. Romantic Opera.
27. Late Romantic Music.
VI. TWENTIETH-CENTURY MUSIC.
29. Impressionism and Post-Romanticism.
30. Music in the Twentieth Century.
31. The Mainstream.
32. Expressionism and Primitivism.
33. Neoclassicism and Tone Row Music.
34. New Sounds and New Techniques.
VII. MUSIC IN THE UNITED STATES.
35. American Music before 1920.
36. Concert Music since 1920.
37. Popular Music and Jazz to 1950.
38. Popular Music since 1950.
39. Music for Stage and Film.
VIII. MUSIC AROUND THE WORLD.
40. Folk and Ethnic Music.
41. Folk Music of Europe and the Americas.
42. Music of Africa and the Middle East.
43. Music of Asia.
Listening Guides Indexed by Composer.
Index of Composer Biographies.