Request for consultation
Have a specific question or not sure where to start? Fill out the form below and we'll put you in touch with our best rockstar consultant to answer your questions
This compelling text explores the development of China through its art, religion, literature, and thought as well as through its economic, political, and social history. The author team combines strong research with extensive classroom teaching experience to offer a clear, consistent, and highly readable text that is accessible to students with no previous knowledge of the history of China.
- Each major Chinese dynasty is covered in a separate, brief chapter. Encounters with the West are also explored.
- The text has been thoroughly updated to reflect current scholarship and recent history. These updates include: military archaeology; additional emphasis on the diversity and vitality of artistic-literati life as well as women's history; expanded coverage on relations with the outside world; new material on Facism as a path toward modernity in China; and much more.
- The four-color design features many illustrations, including maps, timelines, and other photos, and provides concise, yet complete coverage.
1. "China" in Antiquity.
2. Turbulent Times and Classical Thought.
3. The Early Imperial Period.
PART II: CHINA IN A BUDDHIST AGE.
4. China during the Period of Disunity.
5. The Cosmopolitan Civilization of the Sui and Tang: 584-907.
PART III: LATE IMPERIAL/EARLY MODERN.
6. China during the Song: 960–1279.
7. The Mongol Empire and the Yuan Dynasty.
8. The Ming Dynasty: 1368–1644.
9. East Asia and Modern Europe: First Encounters.
10. The Qing Dynasty.
PART IV: CHINA IN THE MODERN WORLD.
11. China: Internal Crises and Western Intrusion.
12. China: Endings and Beginnings, 1894–1927.
PART V: BUILDING A NEW CHINA.
13. China under the Nationalists.
14. China under Mao.
15. The Chinese World since Mao.